Skip to main content

Department of Computer Science

Student Exchange with Partner Universities

The department supports student mobility and therefore maintains several partnerships with international partners.

A classic international study experience is the student exchange, in which students complete courses at partner universities over a limited period of time, which is recognized at the home university and credited towards their own degree.
The department welcomes and supports students who decide to spend one or two semesters abroad by setting up a dedicated contact point  which, alongside the International Office as the university's central administrative unit, supports the academic aspects of the exchange from the department's side.

Furthermore, in addition to agreements on the mutual recognition of academic achievements, tuition fee waiver agreements have also been negotiated with many partner universities, such as with our Canadian partner universities or the European Erasmus+ partners.
Last but not least, we are constantly working to raise scholarship funds for our outgoings to make the decision to go abroad even more attractive to our students.
Once the decision has been made to go abroad, there are many more questions to be answered, which we will try to answer here. All further questions and details can be discussed in a personal meeting.

Where do I want to go / where can I go?

Each student must or may make this decision for themselves. You can find a list of partner universities here. In principle, our students can apply to any university in the world that accepts their application. However, issues such as recognition of credits, tuition fees, insurance, etc. are less complicated if the stay takes place at a partner university.

When is the best time to go abroad?

The ideal time for an exchange semester is the fifth semester of Bachelor's degree programs or the third semester of Master's degree programs. Here, the curriculum provides for a relatively large number of specialization and compulsory elective modules, for which courses from other universities can also be credited. This is immediately followed by the practical phase, which can also take place abroad. The International Office provides advice on placement and organization, while the relevant offices in the department provide information on all content-related and academic aspects.

What requirements do I have to fulfill?

The department expects its outgoing bachelor students to have passed all courses of the first three semesters at the time of their stay abroad. Students are also expected to be proficient in the language of instruction in the host country so that they can follow the lessons and take examinations. At our partner universities, we have agreed that no formal proof of language qualification (TOEFL, IELTS) is required. The assessment is based on the grade in the English course and in a personal interview. If your study program does not include a mandatory english course, you will have to provide another proof of language proficiency, e.g. the DAAD language certificate.

How, where and when do I apply?

Applications to our partner universities are made via the H-BRS International Office on January 15 of each year for the winter semester of the same year. The application deadline for the summer semester is September 1st.
All the necessary information on applying to a partner university is compiled here or can be requested from the H-BRS International Office.

Part of every application is a Learning Agreement or at least a selection of courses that the student wishes to take during their stay. In addition, a letter of motivation, a passport photo and, if applicable, letters of recommendation are usually requested. Please take a close look at the application documents!

What is a Learning Agreement and what do I have to do for it?

A learning agreement (sometimes also called a study plan) is an agreement about the courses that the student wants to take during his/her stay at the host university.

  • Firstly, the student confirms that he/she will actually take the courses.
  • Secondly, the department (i.e. the responsible examination board) at H-BRS confirms that it will recognize the courses specified on the learning agreement and then also those completed at the host university.
  • Thirdly, the host university confirms that these courses are available at all.

In order to have a Learning Agreement approved by the examination board by the application deadline, you should check the course list of your preferred host university in good time. You should choose courses that correspond roughly to the courses you would attend here during the period in question. If possible, we recommend that you have two courses per H-BRS course approved by the examination board of the host university. It can always happen that a course is not offered after all or overlaps with another course. This way you have a confirmed alternative in the back of your mind.

How can I finance my stay?

A stay abroad is never cheap. There are travel costs to and from the country, accommodation, which may have to be paid for twice - abroad and in Germany -, living costs and possibly also tuition fees. The International Office bundles information on funding opportunities.

Team International is constantly working on acquiring funds to support our students when going abroad. Currently we can offer ISAP scholarships for stays at York University 2023 - 2026 funded by the DAAD with funds from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)

  • monthly full scholarship in the amount of € 1,050.00 for a funding period of 4 months
  • Travel allowance in the amount of € 1,075.00
  • Monthly health insurance allowance of € 35.00

You will need the following application documents:

  • a copy of the Letter of Acceptance from the host university
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form in English (incl. passport photo)
  • current English transcript of records
  • English letter of motivation (max. 1 DIN A4 page)
  • Copy of passport (make sure it is valid)
  • Proof of sufficient health insurance cover abroad (can be submitted later)
  • Proof of English language skills

What should I do if there are still exams at home while lectures are already starting at my host university?

Here too, the department is willing to find accommodating solutions. You are not the first to have this problem and in most cases so far we have found a solution: be it by writing the exam in a different examination period, or writing the exam remotely under supervision at the host university. Every candidate and every examiner has individual requirements, which we try to meet. Please think about this possible conflict in good time and let us know as specifically as possible which exams with which examiner are affected. We will then work out a solution together.

Please note the following deadlines: for the summer semester at the beginning of May at the latest and for the winter semester at the end of October at the latest.

How can I get involved interculturally in advance?

If you would like to get to know foreign cultures first, you are welcome to act as a so-called study buddy and support an international student during their turbulent initial period. You can find more information here.